[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Mega Man RTA Forums • View topic - Maverick Hunter X versions and categories

Maverick Hunter X versions and categories

As you might already know - an out-of-the-box original PSP .
This is not really comparable to PPSSPP, which doesn't lag at all, so my initial thought was to make a specefic category for emulators (like many other games). But I was informed that there are ways to play PSP games on console, without lag. You can play on newer, backwards compatible consoles like playing the PS Vita or PS TV. You can also install certain custom software on your PSP and overclock it a little bit, which seems to remove all the lag in MHX :)

So, for now, I vote for keeping it just one category for emulators and all consoles, as well as allow usage of 3rd-party software to remove lag.
Sound good?
Joka
Site Admin

Also, on a slightly different note - Hard-mode might actually be faster than Normal-mode thanks to the possibility of a faster Rangda fight. I'm not really sure how much Hard-mode affects the rest of the game, but if it's actually just faster overall it would make sense to have both modes in the same category.
Joka
Site Admin

Well, my opinion on the matter is to just keep it all on one category. As you said, there are multiple official ways to play it lag free, and technically i dont view overclocking the PSP as cheating or anything. The PSP clock can run up to 333mhz (and some games actually do run at this speed by default), but most games (Megaman: Maverick Hunter X included) run at 222mhz, to conserve battery life. Unless one method is found to be significantly faster as to give an unfair advantage, then it should be banned/made another category. But that doesnt seem to be the case with anything so far, as there is a way to play lag free on all platforms,
skavenger216
Picket Man

PSTV's are pretty cheap and easy to capture from, I could see that being a good alternative with the PSN version of the game. It seems kind of silly to me to allow for overclocking your PSP via third party software to increase the speed of the game though. It seems weird to me to allow modifying your console to alter the speed of the game.

I do think console and emulator should be split up into different categories, sure it adds more categories, but with the amount of lag on console I don't think times are comparable at all. It's not really an issue since nobody runs the game on console right now though, but I don't think it would hurt to just have a separate category to submit console times to.

This might go against what I just said, but I'd just lump PSTV and PSP runs together as console, because they are at least official ways of playing the game, as opposed to emulator which doesn't lag at all and might(?) have a good amount of load time differences as well.
plum
Picket Man

but the problem with lumping psp and pstv together and excluding console and overclocking a PSP is that it would give pstv an unfair advantage to psp. from what Joka said, pstv doesnt have any lag either.
skavenger216
Picket Man

Well you could just separate all versions of the game: PSP, emu, Vita/PSTV. I'm really interested in seeing footage of the game on a Vita/PSTV because I don't actually know how PSP games run on them. And regardless PSTV is still playing an official release of the game on an official console, which at any rate I think is better than letting emulator be the definitive version of the game for running.

Edit: also I guess one thing to note is that even on a PSP you'd need to play the PSN version of the game because UMD would be slower unless you want to time out loads.
plum
Picket Man

Very true about the PSN versus UMD in regards to load times. Another reason why (IMO, of course), it should all stay as one board, and play whatever the fastest version you have access to is. Emulator should be compared with the rest, as long as its not any faster than the fastest official version.
skavenger216
Picket Man

I've ordered a PS TV and will test it out as soon as I get it. Normally it would of course never be allowed to overclock or "trim" your console to run faster. But in this case it just seems to make it comparable to emulator and other consoles, which is good. So then you still have the option to play on PSP and still being able to compare to others. If people have a big issue with it or really wants to start running on standard, un-modded PSPs, then I guess we could make a specific category for PSP only.

I can make some side-by-side comparison videos (original PSP with UMD, modded PSP, emulator and PS TV) once I get the PS TV.
Joka
Site Admin

I look forward to your comparison, and i also agree with you that if we are gonna do seperate categories, it should be "psp only" and "everything else". And also, normally overclocking wouldnt be allowed. This is kind of a different case because you really arent "overclocking" the PSP, you are jusr removing the "underclock" they apply to make battery life longer. There are PSP games out there that run at 333mhz by default, so i really see no problems with running Maverick Hunter X at that.
skavenger216
Picket Man

I guess the general consensus is that everything should stay the way it is now, but I'm still just going to say that I personally don't like the idea of modifying hardware to perform differently being allowed. Regardless of how easy it is to install custom firmware, the game was not intended to run at 333 mhz, so using third party software to overclock the system does feel like cheating to me. Yes the system is capable of doing that, but the developers chose to not make the game run at the faster clock speed. If nobody else wants to split the versions, then just leave them as they are now, but I think using third party software to remove lag on PSP should not be allowed, even if it makes emulator the fastest version of the game. I don't run the game so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but that's my view on it.
plum
Picket Man

I have measured a few things to compare the different ways to play the game. Still no side-by-side video though, I'm too lazy -_-'. Anyway, here are the results:

Methods used to play the game: Unmodded PSP with UMD disc (PSP (UMD)), modded PSP with game on memory card (PSP (modded)), PSTV and PPSSPP 0.9.9 (emulator).
Timing method: Frame counting in a 30 fps video. Not the most accurate way, I know, but good enough to get a general idea.

Intro stage load (from difficulty select until X spawns)
PSP (UMD): 159
PSP (modded): 160
PSTV: 244
Emulator: 135

- PSTV is highlighted red because I can't believe that that is accurate. I might need to time that again. Other than that, what's interesting to note is that unmodded PSP is not slower than modded in this case. Emulator is still fastest.

Mammoth stage load (from stage select until X spawns)
PSP (UMD): 496
PSP (modded): 426
PSTV: 430
Emulator: 423

- Now this is more in line with what was expected. UMD is about ~70 frames slower than the others, which are all in the same general region.

The only consistent to measure lag seems to be to time the "WARNING" sign before each bossfight:
PSP (UMD): 119
PSP (modded): 75
PSTV: 74
Emulator: 75

- Unmodded PSP has quite a bit of lag. The others have none. I haven't noticed any lag at all in other parts of the game either on anything except the unmodded PSP.
Joka
Site Admin

So my suggestion is now this: Two categories - one for completely unmodded, original PSP with UMD and one for everything else (modded PSP included).
I also suggest switching to SDA timing (yay~), to avoid eventual variance in intro stage load times.
Joka
Site Admin

I definitely agree with having a category for "unmodded PSP" and another for "everything else". It seems as if PSTV, modded PSP and emu all have almost identical loads and lag, or at least within a couple frames of eachother, which is pretty much what i expected. Thanks for taking the time to document and compare all of this Joka :)
skavenger216
Picket Man

Thank you Joka for doing this and I'm 100% on board for splitting the categories.
MHFsilver
Sniper Armor

sounds good to me.
i mentioned it before but there's a load of lag killing or ignoring enemies on non vita/emu so this sounds fare enought with alot of frame data and WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to much testing.
so i say yes to this
TheSid
Met

Return to Handheld Mega Man games (Classic and X)